Monday, April 26, 2004

More fun with Prof. Sabato at the shad-planking

I never heard of the shad-planking until I took a course from Professor Sabato, who was the unprecedentedly unelected guest speaker this spring at Wakefield, and I keep reading little bits and pieces of his remarks, some of which I'd read few times before ("Flat Earth Society," etc.) but in this piece (mostly about redistricting) from the Daily Press I've spotted a few new zingers, in particular these:

"Sabato got in a few digs, saying Attorney General Jerry Kilgore's far Southwest Virginia twang would likely be "subtitled in English" during his anticipated gubernatorial candidacy next year. "Clodhopper Kilgore," Sabato called the AG. . . .

A better line was directed at the crowd itself, which Sabato observed to be half tipsy and half not paying attention - "just like when I'm teaching at U.Va," he said."

My two favorite Sabato quotes (not that I can quote him) were these: (1) when asked about Doug Wilder in 1985, he said the odds of Wilder beating Chichester were 1000-to-1 (how did Chichester get so much livelier in his old age than he was that year?); and (2) when asked about Ross Perot, Sabato once said, in effect, that when Perot speaks, Sabato had a hard listening to what he was saying because of the noise from all the loose screws rattling around in his head.

No comments: