Saturday, August 28, 2004

Should I save this stuff for the presidential library - or take it on to dump?

In the backseat of my car are two boxes of papers that are mostly the record of my high school days. Twenty years later, Mom has decided to out this archive from her house. Included among them are papers showing that I really was, notwithstanding all evidence to the contrary, a kid who scored well on standardized tests, well enough perhaps to have qualified for at least one famous group of smart people. Then, I went off to college and discovered, much to my surprise, that I was probably the dumbest kid out of 20 on my hall in the first year dorm at the University of Virginia. (I could, however, then and perhaps even now work the Washington Post and NY Times weekday crosswords better than the engineering students.)

No comments: