Friday, October 07, 2005

The latest Certworthy

Here Ray Ward has linked to the latest Certworthy, the publication of the DRI Appellate Practice session.

The shame of it all is that I argued an appeal yesterday, and although it may have gone well enough, I was thinking after reading this latest Certworthy that I wish I had read it before we wrote the briefs - I could see how to make them better. And, perhaps the argument went better, although it was not a complicated case.

Read it, write better, argue better.

One of my pet peeves in briefwriting lately has been all sentences starting with the indefinite "it", as in "It is fundamentally unfair." What's the case cite for that fundamental unfairness doctrine, anyway?

P.S. Dad, check out the bit at pp. 26-27 with my name on it, as the reporter for the Fourth Circuit.

No comments: