Saturday, April 29, 2006

The Hook takes on a Charlottesville lawyer

Not that I agreed with all of it, but I was delighted by this profile from the Hook in Charlottesville of lawyer Benjamin Dick, whose most famous trial lately was the defense verdict in the farmer/lawyer murder case.

One of his accomplishments he lists as this: "being the first in the Dick genealogy to be a lawyer who won arguments before the Virginia Supreme Court, U.S. District courts, and the U.S. Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals."

As his most embarrassing moment, he replied: "After losing a lot of weight for health issues, my old pants dropped to my ankles while I held an arm full of groceries in a grocery store, scaring a poor old lady."

Since it seems likely that I have a remote ancestor (Maindort Doodes, whose son Doodes Minor supposedly became a citizen by an Act of Assembly in 1673) in common with many of the Virginia Minors (including perhaps that John B. Minor who referenced Maindort in his 1923 book, The Minor Family of Virginia), I doubt that I can make a similar genealogical claim. I do, however, have some old pants that are certainly capable of falling to my ankles in a grocery store.

No comments: