Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Judge Boyle's letter

Here Howard Bashman has posted the letter Fourth Circuit nominee and current Chief Judge Boyle of North Carolina wrote to the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, acknowledging that a few small items snuck past his conflict checking system.

Judge Boyle wrote in part:

"I can state categorically and truthfully that I have never accepted or maintained a case assignment, whether civil or criminal, while knowing that I had an actual or apparent conflict of interest. Over the course of my twenty-two years of service as a federal district judge, during which time I have presided over more than 16,000 cases, I have taken my duties seriously and have strived to observe the judicial canons and ethics rules, including those on conflicts of interest. Never during my tenure as district judge have I received a complaint or a question from any party suggesting that I may have had a financial conflict in a case."

No comments: