Sunday, September 09, 2007

On the Tennessee tax on illegal drugs

A while back, I had this post about the Tennessee tax on illegal drugs.

Now, a panel of the Tennessee Court of Appeals has ruled that the tax is unconstitutional, as reported here and discussed in this TalkLeft post.

The opinion in the case of Waters v. Chumley is here.

Once again, I look to Bill Hobbs for comment, and it sounds like now he thinks it is a bad idea.

By the way, Bill Hobbs has out a short book about Fred Thompson, titled Who is Fred Thompson? Earlier this year I went to a dinner and briefly Fred Thompson was there, and the woman standing next to me asked the same question. I told her as best I could, but I didn't think to charge her anything.

I wonder what is Fred Thompson's position on the taxation of illegal drugs. Evidently, he is taking questions from bloggers, or some of them, as noted here.

No comments: