Sunday, June 29, 2003

Barbecue - ambrosia in Bluff City

When I was in college, my roommate was from Kansas City, and after listening to his talk of barbecue for years, I went out there and ate at Arthur Bryant's and Gates. We also ate a place called Stroud's, a great place, which displayed a map of the "best food in America." The best barbecue, according to that map, was in Bluff City, Tennessee, at the Ridgewood, the subject of this column from the Kingsport Times-News.

Even my man Sam from Kansas City concedes that the Ridgewood is good. Maybe I ought to go there next week and buy a jar of sauce to send to him in London, where he has been in barbecue exile these past several years.

Lately, though, my favorite BBQ place has been PQ's on the Midlothian Turnpike, I eat there every time I go to Richmond, which seems to be more often than I get down to Bluff City.

No comments: