Wednesday, October 01, 2003

Kingsport homeowner sues over police claim that he lives in a crack house

The Kingsport paper (registration required) has this story about a Kingsport man who filed suit in the E.D. Tenn. claiming that police have been harassing him because they think he lives in a crack house. The article says the plaintiff seeks $250,000 punitive damages plus injunctive relief, and the defendants include the City of Kingsport and various individuals.

I doubt the man can get punitive damages against the City, and I wonder whether he is really claiming only punitive damages, as the article suggests - that's not allowed, is it - punitives without any claim for compensatory damages?

No comments: