Friday, January 09, 2004

My favorite places to eat in the D.C. area

We're going up to D.C. area this weekend, so I can watch the argument before the Supreme Court on Monday, but also so my wife can see her old stomping grounds, as she lived in that area until I lured her to Southwest Virginia. One thing we have been talking about is where to eat.

I spent a lot of the time in the D.C. area between 1988 and 1998 but never really got past the stage of being a 20-something tourist, so the places where I liked to go were basically casual, touristy, good time places, and I'd go back to all of these:

Blackie's , 22nd St., N.W., D.C. (in the old days, we ate prime rib there, and crackers with blue cheese)
Clyde's (Tyson's and Georgetown) (chili, and whatever else)
Fish Market, Alexandria (about the only place I ever ordered a fried fish sandwich)
Hard Times Cafe, Alexandria (chili and cornbread)
Ilija's International Gourmet, MacArthur Blvd., N.W., D.C. (gyros when they had them)
Layalina, Arlington
The Market Inn, E Street, S.W., D.C. (soup sampler - three soups, best restaurant idea ever, especially when one of the soups is she-crab soup)
Peking Gourmet, Falls Church (spring chicken)
Three Pigs Barbecue, McLean

No comments: