Last week, I came across a 1990 article from the Tennessee Bar Journal, which began:
"Did you know:
• A goose is not an animal, but a jackass is a horse, according to the Tennessee Supreme Court
• An elephant was once hanged in Tennessee for killing its trainer
• By law, the robin is a song bird -- it was once a game bird in Tennessee
• It's against the law to carry a deer inside your car in this state
• One of Tennessee's largest hospital malpractice verdicts involved a patient bitten by a spider"
The elephant I knew about, from the Book of Lists #3.