Thursday, January 22, 2015

On the selection of Judge Kelsey to the Virginia Supreme Court

I was on the road yesterday, but saw by way of the Virginia Lawyers' Weekly that the General Assembly has selected Judge Kelsey from the Court of Appeals for the vacancy on the Supreme Court created by the retirement of Chief Justice Kinser.

This was my recommendation more then seven years ago, which is not to cast aspersions on those who have been made members of the Court during that interval - particularly since that would include every single one of them other than the new Chief Justice. The vacancies left by the retirements of Justices Lacy and Koontz, the appointments to the Fourth Circuit of Judges Agee and Keenan, and the passing of the former Chief Justice Hassell have all been filled been filled in the past seven years.

I like to think that I am up to date, but I'm not sure whether I would recognize any of these new justices off the bench other than the one from Southwest Virginia.

No comments: