Sunday, August 24, 2003

How can the online calendar be wrong on a guilty plea

The Roanoke Times has this story on confusion following the appearance in the online calendar of a notation that one of the co-defendants of Dr. Cecil Knox was going to plead guilty, when in fact she wasn't.

Well, this doesn't sound like much of a story to me. The few times I've seen something related to one of my federal cases on the calendar or the docket that did not make sense to me, I've called the clerk's office, and either they explained it to me or they changed it, if necessary after consulting with the judge, or so I understand. There's nothing sinister about such things. The constant dance of scheduling is one of the most inefficient things that goes on in litigation, the opportunities for someone to make a misstep are many.

No comments: