Monday, August 18, 2003

On the office of solicitor general for a state government

Law.com's Tony Mauro has this article on the rise of the office of solicitor general for states as one way for lawyers to get before the U.S. Supreme Court - but the article does not mention Virginia's William Hurd.

I saw Tony Mauro talking on C-SPAN to a gathering of former U.S. Solicitor Generals replayed on C-SPAN over the weekend, from this year's ABA convention - the panelists were Charles Fried, Drew Day, Ted Olsen, Ken Starr, and Walter Dellinger. (Forgive me, if their names are misspelled.) The funniest part, though, was at the end, when the ABA litigation section head thanked everyone and explained that it was a historic gathering, to have so many of the holders of this office together at once, and how the other living former solicitors general were unable to attend, Robert Bork and Archibald Cox, and described the letter from Mr. Cox, who supposedly wrote something like, "I was excited to appear on this panel, but then I realized, I'm 90 years old, and so I have to stay home."

No comments: