Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Hanging out in district court

I spent yesterday from about 2:00 to about 7:00 in Russell County General District Court. As my appearances in district court are rare, I always study the scene. If there are contested matters, the day goes into overtime.

In my case, there were too many witnesses, and they had been hanging out together all afternoon, so we kept them all in the courtroom so counsel and the Court could inquire of any of them at any time as necessary. At one point, the question was "how many of you would say the same thing" and we took the testimony of the assembled masses by a show of hands.

The judge was the Honorable Jack S. Hurley, Jr., with whom I had no prior acquaintance before the several trips to Lebanon for this case. New judges are always interesting. Particularly since he ruled mostly in favor of my mostly-deserving client, he rates as a gentleman and a scholar in my view.

No comments: