Thursday, September 18, 2008

On arguing in the Sixth Circuit on Tuesday

All I can say is that it was really fun, arguing an appeal is about the most fun you get as a lawyer, the opportunity to see if you can for a few minutes respond effectively to sharp questions from strong judges.

In the Sixth Circuit, you are told the makeup of the panel in advance. I wondered what to do with this information. The question was reduced in scope somewhat by the fact that the panel included a brand new judge, who had not written any opinions at all, and specialized in other areas of the law during his private practice.

After court, I followed my GPS on some obscure route through Southeastern Ohio to Charleston, West Virginia, where I was supposed to have a deposition, and made it the rest of the way home yesterday.

No comments: